The S.V Agricultural College was established in 27-10-1961. Although the university came into existence on August 21 1964, a journey into the broad-lands of history reveals it to be a much older institution. It would perhaps not be an exaggeration to say that the university was conceived way back in 1899 in the form of an experimental farm of 30 acres. Following this, an agricultural college was established in 1961 and the farm itself occupied 202 acres. In fact today this very farm constitutes the Main Research Station of the university. Such were the humble beginnings that the university, as it stands today, is a tribute to the visionaries who founded it and those who nurtured it over the past several decades.